Monday, June 18, 2012

My Rainy Day Playlist

It's another rainy day in Calgary. Got the homeschooling year all finished and signed off. The house is relatively spotless after an Open House yesterday. I still have a to-do list a mile long, but have decided to spend my morning perking myself up with music that gets my heart pumping.

I get made fun of regularly by people all the time for my taste in music. I admit, it's ecclectic and doesn't always make a lot of sense. You might see me as a boring old housewife, but that doesn't mean I have to listen to Engelbert Humperdink. I grew up with many musical influences; my dad's love for bluegrass, my small-town Bowmanville roots, my grandfather's fiddle tunes, church hymns that make me cry, cottage cock-rock, Scarborough introduced me to a HUGE world of music from all over the world, campfire tunes and Bobby McGee, a love for the Beatles, beautiful scores from my favourite broadway shows or movies. I swear in another life I was a black woman who wished she could sing at the Apollo Theatre.

I just love music. In all of its forms and in all of its genres. If it's sung or performed with soul, you've got me. I'm counting down the days until I'm back in Ontario with tickets in hand to see a good show at Massey Hall or to hear a song-writer with nothing but their acoustic guitar in a dinghy bar.

I'm not sure what kind of mood I'm in today, but the music might tell you better than I can.

Michael Bernard Fitzgerald is a Calgarian that keeps creeping into my faves' list. I'll be sorry to leave Alberta if he doesn't blow up so I can just as easily hear about it from Ontario.


I think I am as obsessed with Brandi Carlile as I am with Adele. I just can't get enough of her voice. Adore her and wish I could see her live.


..and this is a must. Have heard the song many times by other artists, but no one does it better, in my opinion.


A classic. Wish we had street performers like this in our neighbourhood.


Can't help it. I just love this.


One of my all time favourites by Bonnie Raitt and John Prine:


My favourite Barenaked Ladies' tune:


I love this Robyn song, but I think I like this one even better covered by this Swedish vocal group called Erato:


Way too sexy for a family blog, I know. (sorry)


Who doesn't love Otis Redding???!


I couldn't decide between this or 9 Crimes, but Blower's Daughter won out.


The Hip. :)




Beautiful.


And I'll finish with some country by the lovely Miranda Lambert.


What's on your playlist today?



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Grab My Button
LINK TITLE

I'm a featured blogger on mamapedia voices

Blog Archive


Follow Me and I Will Follow You!

Subscribe
Autism Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf